Bass on a diet

branko

Bass on a diet

Post by branko »

I saw few photos of bass on this forum, and I saw several fish on the Kourris dam, and it came to my attention that they are all very thin, I mean bass is usually nice and round, and most of what I saw looks like they are trying to look like zander ( thin and long ), Is there forage shortage on the dams?

caveman

Re: Bass on a diet

Post by caveman »

When food is absent… you get the thin and long basses… when there is a lot of pray fish, you get the nice healthy and fat basses!
Especially in dams like Evretou where there is a lot of cray fish, the basses are round and healthy.

This things are going to change radically in the near future, more things can be explained in person, when we meet.
Στις εκλογές 2013, ψηφίζουμε:
==ΤΟΥΡΝΑ==

Tryfon

Post by Tryfon »

Οταν ελαλουν οτι θελουμε english section inthe forum ...
Like us on Facebook: Super Action Stores Cyprus

(CyBasser)

Post by (CyBasser) »

Tryfon wrote:Οταν ελαλουν οτι θελουμε english section inthe forum ...
+1000! marios and MariosK? I just hope there is no problem writing in English for our friend Branko...
There is fishing, and there is BASS FISHING!
ALWAYS PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE!!!

Tryfon

Post by Tryfon »

το ζητημα ειναι ρολανδο μου οτι ιδη εχουμε 2 ενεργα μελη που ειναι english speaking στο φορουμ(bass and jigging). Στο διαγωνισμο ειδαμε μια μεγαλι ανταποκριση απο τα παιδια απο την Ρωσσια (κοινη γλωσα συνεννοησης αγγλικα) οπος ο Βατιμ , παιδι που διαθετει μεγαλες γνωσεις στο ψαρεμα του κυπρινου. Δεν καταλαβαινω προσοπικα το προβλημα αν σε καθε ενοτητα υπαρχει ενα αγλοφονο κομματι. καλο θα μας κανει μονο και κοσμος παραπανω στο φορουμ!

MariosK

Post by MariosK »

There is no problem writing in english. We will also look into the possibility of creating a separate english section but it might be a bit complicated because it will split the members of the forum, something that from my experience on other forums is not a good thing.

branko

Post by branko »

Guys as I said before you don't have to write in English, I can read and speak Greek I just have problem with writing. Sorry about that. :oops:

PeRoUkKaS

Post by PeRoUkKaS »

MariosK wrote:There is no problem writing in english. We will also look into the possibility of creating a separate english section but it might be a bit complicated because it will split the members of the forum, something that from my experience on other forums is not a good thing.
μαριε μου δεν ειναι αναγκη να το κανουμε τοσο πολυπλοκο.. δεν ειναι αναγκη π.χ για τα γλυκα νερα να κανουμε english sections και για τα φραγματα, και για τις εξορμησεις και για το ψαρεμα πεστροφας κτλ... θα μπορουσε ευκολα να γινει απλα ενα english section στο ψαρεμα απο ακτη, ενα για τα γλυκα νερα, ενα για ψ/τ κτλ.. τιποτε το πολυπλοκο και το δυσκολο.. απλα ενα english section σε καθε ενοτητα!
catch & release!
προσεχουμε για να εχουμε!!

MariosK

Post by MariosK »

PeRoUkKaS wrote:
MariosK wrote:There is no problem writing in english. We will also look into the possibility of creating a separate english section but it might be a bit complicated because it will split the members of the forum, something that from my experience on other forums is not a good thing.
μαριε μου δεν ειναι αναγκη να το κανουμε τοσο πολυπλοκο.. δεν ειναι αναγκη π.χ για τα γλυκα νερα να κανουμε english sections και για τα φραγματα, και για τις εξορμησεις και για το ψαρεμα πεστροφας κτλ... θα μπορουσε ευκολα να γινει απλα ενα english section στο ψαρεμα απο ακτη, ενα για τα γλυκα νερα, ενα για ψ/τ κτλ.. τιποτε το πολυπλοκο και το δυσκολο.. απλα ενα english section σε καθε ενοτητα!
Καλή ιδέα Στέφανε. Θα δω τι μπορεί να γίνει.

Tryfon

Post by Tryfon »

MariosK wrote:
PeRoUkKaS wrote:
Καλή ιδέα Στέφανε. Θα δω τι μπορεί να γίνει.
+1

(CyBasser)

Post by (CyBasser) »

Believe him. He has FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously now, both arguments have their merit. Unlike a particular (not fishing related) forum that springs to mind where English was an absolute necessity yet the admin refused and still refuses to accept that, causing huge problems, this forum is part of a larger scheme that has to do with a particular Greek-language magazine. In a sense it is a private forum belonging to the magazine and the associated company. If the owners and the administrators decide to keep it as it is, no-one would have any rights to raise objections.

On the other hand, there is a growing minority of non-greek speaking anglers on Cyprus, especially regarding freshwater fishing, but also evident in the boat fishing section. I don't know if there are any english speaking members in the speargun / diving or shorefishing sections. Having at least one English language subsection under each of the major sections would allow these non-greek speaking members of our community to join the forum and exchange ideas. I would urge the owners / admins / moderator team to give this possibility a thought - after all it's an experiment!

(CyBasser)

Post by (CyBasser) »

branko wrote:I saw few photos of bass on this forum, and I saw several fish on the Kourris dam, and it came to my attention that they are all very thin, I mean bass is usually nice and round, and most of what I saw looks like they are trying to look like zander ( thin and long ), Is there forage shortage on the dams?
After discussing the pros/cons of an english-language section, I think it is time to return to our main subject:

Branko, regarding bass on this island: The shape is not necessarily an indicator of not enough food. It appears that on Cyprus, Micropterus salmoides (largemouth bass) has two distinct morphs regarding its shape: In all reservoirs there is what I would call the "standard" shape, which is generally longish independently of whether they have enough food or not. In a few reservoirs though, including Kouris, Evretou, (and Dhipotamos at least before the water waste disaster of 2006-2007), there are some bass (generally a minority) that are very heavily built, with a roundish shape, and a very pronounced hump behind their head. These bass can become very impressive after they grow in excess of two kilos. I don't have any photos handy, but some members of the forum (especially Predatwr :mrgreen: ) can confirm this. So, the lean shape does not mean not enough food. Especially now for Kouris, there is a huge amount of baitfish (baby carp, roach, silver bream, bleak, pumpkinseed) supporting a relative small bass population - so independently of shape I would expect bass there to be well fed. Indeed, we have indications that bass born last April and May are growing at almost the maximum possible rate!

branko

Post by branko »

Thanx man I was really worried that I would have to go and buy few tons of forage fish to feed our babies :mrgreen:

Return to “BASS FISHING”